top of page
  • jeffreyfeinberg

I Found Mold in My House, Now What


Mold is a problem that many homeowners face. The important thing to remember is that mold is ubiquitous in nature and a natural part of life. You will find it around you and in your house and there's nothing wrong with that. The problem arises when the amount of mold becomes too large or if there are specific types of mold present that can cause health problems for people who come into contact with them. In this post, we're going to talk about how to tell if you have mold in your house and what you should do next if you do find any signs of it.

Mold has a very specific look and sometimes smell

Mold has a very specific look and smell. It can look like fuzzy patches on walls, floors and ceilings. Mold can be found in many places around the house including basements and bathrooms (where there is often moisture and/or elevated humidity).

Mold can be found in many places in your house

Mold is a fungus that grows on organic material, such as wood and paper. Mold can also grow on carpet and upholstery, in the bathroom especially in showers and even in your kitchen refrigerator!

If you're not sure if you have mold, get a mold inspection

If you're not sure if you have mold, hire a profession and get a mold inspection. If it turns out that there is a small amount of visible mold in your house, then the cost of inspecting for and removing the mold will probably be less than the cost of repairing the damage done by simply leaving it alone. In most cases, a professional inspector can come out to inspect for mold--and their services are usually inexpensive compared with what could happen if left unchecked!

Don't panic if you do find mold

If you don't have a mold allergy, don't panic. You can still enjoy the benefits of having a healthy home and good indoor air quality.

Mold is typically not dangerous to people who don't have an allergic reaction to it. However, if you do have an allergic reaction to mold spores, then you should be concerned about their presence in your home because they may trigger asthma attacks or other respiratory problems.

If you suffer from asthma or allergies that make it difficult for you to breathe comfortably indoors (such as hay fever), then removing the source of these allergens from around your home will help relieve those symptoms and make life more enjoyable for everyone involved!

"Black mold" can be dangerous but it's not the only type of dangerous mold.

Mold can be dangerous to your health, especially if you are allergic to mold. There are many types of mold and each one has its own unique characteristics. Some molds produce toxins that cause harm, while others do not produce any toxins at all.

Black mold (Stachybotrys chartarum) is one type which has been linked to illness in humans, but there are several other types of toxic molds that can also cause illness when they grow indoors: Aspergillus versicolor (found on decaying vegetation), Penicillium chrysogenum (found on grains), Fusarium oxysporum (often found in soil) and Trichothecium roseum (found on cotton).

There are many different types of mold, some might be harmful

There are many different types of mold, some of which may be harmful to your health. Mold that grows in damp and moist conditions can be found on almost any surface in your home: wallpaper, carpeting, drywall and wood flooring. It can also develop in your personal belongings such as clothing or furniture if they're exposed to water damage.

Mold spores are microscopic but when disturbed by air currents or being touched by people who track them into their homes (or even pets), they release tiny fragments called hyphae that look like spider webs under a microscope. When these hyphal fragments come into contact with the human body through inhalation or skin contact they cause allergic reactions such as coughing; sneezing; runny nose; eye irritation; feverish feeling; nausea/vomiting--even death from severe allergic reactions!


You may be surprised to learn that there are many different types of mold and some may not be as harmful as others. If you do find mold in your home, it's important to get a mold inspection done by a professional who knows how to identify and test for different types of molds and remove them properly, so they don't spread throughout your home or office building. If you would like to talk to us about mold inspections and testing, visit our website,

5 views0 comments


bottom of page