top of page
Search
  • jeffreyfeinberg

What's the Deal with Mold?

Introduction

Mold is a type of fungus that grows in damp places and can cause health problems, especially for people with respiratory allergies or compromised immune systems. If you suspect that your indoor air quality may be compromised due to mold or other contaminants, call North Florida Mold Consulting for a free phone consultation or second opinion at 850-809-6653. We specialize in comprehensive mold inspections and testing in Tallahassee, Florida and the surrounding communities!


If you have mold in your home, it's important to take action as soon as possible.

If you have mold in your home, it's important to take action as soon as possible. If left untreated. mold can proliferate to dangerous levels. It can cause allergic reactions and illness in those who are allergic or sensitive to it, including children and the elderly. For example:

  • A person with asthma may experience an exacerbation of symptoms when exposed to mold spores or mycotoxins (toxins produced by molds).

  • People with chronic respiratory illnesses such as cystic fibrosis should avoid exposure to mold because they are at increased risk for infection from respiratory pathogens such as Aspergillus fumigatus that are often found growing on surfaces where excess moisture has accumulated over time due to leaks or poor ventilation systems within homes/buildings.

Molds are microorganisms that grow on damp surfaces and digest organic materials.

Molds are microorganisms that grow on damp surfaces and digest organic materials. They are fungi, which means they're related to mushrooms, yeasts and grasses. Molds can be found almost anywhere you look--on your kitchen countertop or carpeting; in the soil under your lawn; even on your body!

Mold grows best in warm and humid conditions, so it's most common indoors during the summer months when windows are open for ventilation purposes but humidity levels remain high.


There are many different types of Mold, but most molds produce spores that can cause allergic reactions.

Mold has many different varieties, but all molds produce spores that can cause allergic reactions. Some people are more sensitive to mold than others. Mold spores are also harmful to your health and can lead to serious respiratory problems such as asthma or bronchitis.


Some types of molds produce toxic substances known as mycotoxins which can cause illness.

Some molds produce toxic substances known as mycotoxins. Mycotoxins can cause illness, especially in young children and the elderly. They can also be harmful to animals--so if you own a dog or cat and notice that it's been sick lately, it could be mold!

Mycotoxins are found in food or water that has been contaminated by mold growth; they can be present even when there is no visible sign of mold on surfaces such as walls or floors because the spores that spread them are microscopic. You may be familiar with this problem if you've ever noticed a strange taste in your food after storing it improperly (like in a damp basement).


Many people develop allergic reactions to molds, even though they may not know they are allergic until they are exposed to a large amount of spores or mycotoxins.

Allergic reactions to molds are common. The symptoms of an allergic reaction can occur anywhere in the body and can range from mild to severe. Symptoms can be immediate or delayed, depending on the type of allergen you're exposed to and how much you come into contact with it.

Symptoms include coughing, sneezing, runny nose and watery eyes; skin irritation that looks like hives; headache or dizziness; difficulty breathing (if you have asthma).


Mold can be dangerous and is best avoided by keeping your house dry and well ventilated.

Mold can cause a variety of health problems, including allergic reactions and asthma attacks. Mold also increases your risk for pneumonia, sinus infections, eye infections and skin infections.

Molds are fungi that live on organic matter such as wood or paper products. They require moisture to grow--even the tiniest amount will do the trick! If you notice any signs of mold in your home (such as discolored walls or ceilings), it's time to take action.


Conclusion

The best way to avoid mold is by keeping your house dry and well ventilated. If you do have mold in your home, it's important that you take action as soon as possible because the longer it stays there, the more damage it will cause.


Have Questions? We are here for you, call us at 850-809-6653 or visit us on the web, North Florida Mold Consulting.


6 views0 comments

Comments


bottom of page